Former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) on Sunday said that he’s “surprised” that Vice President Mike Pence will continue campaigning despite several of his aides testing positive for COVID-19.
Appearing ABC News on Sunday morning, Christie — who was hospitalized for COVID-19 earlier this month after working with President Trump on his debate preparations ahead of the first presidential debate — was asked about his thoughts on Pence staying on the campaign trail, which the VP’s office justified by arguing that he’s “essential personnel.”
After saying that “the whole getting of COVID to begin with and the not wearing of masks has been a problem,” Christie stressed the importance of putting “the health of the people they’re going to be in touch with first.”
Christie then recalled that when he tested positive for COVID-19 earlier this month, he “immediately” quarantined himself” before being hospitalized.
“But you got to keep yourself away from everybody and I’m a little bit surprised,” Christie said, referring to Pence hitting the campaign trail.
Late last month, Christie attended the White House event announcing Trump’s nomination of Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court. Christie later expressed regret for not wear a mask at the event and that it was an error on his part to believe he was in a “safe zone” due to the testing requirements at the White House.
Watch Christie’s remarks below:
“Everybody’s gotta put the health of the people they’re going to be in touch with first,” Chris Christie says, adding he’s “surprised” Vice President Pence still plans to be on the campaign trail, despite two of his top aides testing positive for COVID-19. https://t.co/QZVX5tHmnB pic.twitter.com/iHnenGB2XO
— This Week (@ThisWeekABC) October 25, 2020