Chinese Foreign Ministry Rejects Trump’s Call For Biden Dirt

BEIJING, CHINA - JANUARY 5: Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Geng Shuang delivers a speech during a press conference in Beijing, China on January 5, 2018. (Photo by Fuat Kabakci/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images)
|
October 8, 2019 11:59 a.m.
JOIN TPM FOR JUST $1

The Chinese foreign ministry said Tuesday that is was rejecting President Donald Trump’s public call to provide dirt on Hunter Biden ahead of the 2020 election.

“We have no intention of intervening in the domestic affairs of the United States,” foreign ministry spokesperson Geng Shuang told the South China Morning Post Tuesday morning. “Our position is consistent and clear.”

In addition to pressuring the Ukrainian president to pursue dirt on Hunter and Joe Biden, among other issues that would be helpful to his reelection chances, Trump has sought help from other countries to dig up the 2016 origins of the Mueller probe.

The administration is expected to raise tariff rates on a wide array of Chinese imports on Oct. 15 as part of its ongoing trade war with China.

Trump’s interest in China stems from a board position Hunter Biden held at a Chinese investment fund during the Obama administration.

After Trump said publicly last week that “China should start an investigation into the Bidens,” some Republican allies of the President played off the comment as a joke, or as Trump trolling the media.

“He’s pretty good at getting everybody fired up and he’s been doing that for a while and the media responded right on task,” Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) said Friday, asked about Trump’s comment.

Comments
Masthead Masthead
Editor & Publisher:
Executive Editor:
Managing Editor:
Senior Editor:
Investigations Desk:
Reporter:
Senior Newswriters:
Newswriters:
Editor at Large:
General Manager & General Counsel:
Executive Publisher:
Head of Product:
Director of Technology:
Publishing Associate:
Front-End Developer:
Senior Designer: