Et tu, McDonald’s?
McDonald’s corporate Twitter account sent a rather negative message to noted fast food lover President Donald Trump Thursday morning, calling him a “disgusting excuse for a President” and insulting his hands.
The tweet was deleted around 9:30 a.m. ET and the company tweeted an explanation about an hour later claiming the account was “compromised.”
Twitter notified us that our account was compromised. We deleted the tweet, secured our account and are now investigating this.
— McDonald’s (@McDonaldsCorp) March 16, 2017
A spokeswoman for McDonald’s told TPM in an emailed statement that the fast food giant had determined its account had been hacked by an “external source” and apologized.
“Based on our investigation, we have determined that our Twitter account was hacked by an external source,” Terri Hickey, a spokesperson for McDonald’s wrote. “We took swift action to secure it, and we apologize this tweet was sent through our corporate McDonald’s account.”
The tweet might come as a shock to President Trump, who is a noted lover of McDonald’s.
“I’m a very clean person. I like cleanliness. I think you’re better off going there than someplace you have no idea where the food is coming from. It’s a certain standard,” Trump told Anderson Cooper. “The one thing about the big franchises: one bad hamburger, you can destroy McDonald’s. One bad hamburger, you take Wendy’s and all these other places and they’re out of business.”
For the record, his preferred meal is the Filet of Fish.