During a campaign rally on Monday night, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) bashed Hillary Clinton’s decision not to participate in a proposed Fox News debate in California ahead of the state’s primary.
“I was disturbed, but not surprised that Secretary Clinton has backed out of the debate,” Sanders said at the Santa Monica, California, rally, according to The Hill. “I think it’s a little bit insulting to the people of California — our largest state — that she is not prepared to have a discussion with me about how she will help the Californians address the major crises that we face.”
“We have declined Fox News’ invitation to participate in a debate in California. As we have said previously, we plan to compete hard in the remaining primary states, particularly California, while turning our attention to the threat a Donald Trump presidency poses,” Clinton Spokeswoman Jennifer Palmieri said in a statement.
Fox News also responded to Clinton’s decision not to participate in the debate on Monday evening.
“Naturally, Fox News is disappointed that Secretary Clinton has declined our debate invitation, especially given that the race is still contested and she had previously agreed to a final debate before the California primary,” Bill Sammon, VP and Washington Managing Editor at Fox News, said in a Monday statement.