UPDATE: 8:32 p.m.
Democratic presidential frontrunner Hillary Clinton has reportedly declined to participate in the Fox News debate that her opponent Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) has agreed to.
“We have declined Fox News’ invitation to participate in a debate in California. As we have said previously, we plan to compete hard in the remaining primary states, particularly California, while turning our attention to the threat a Donald Trump presidency poses,” Clinton’s spokeswoman, Jennifer Palmieri said in a statement to Bloomberg.
Sanders agreed last week to the network’s debate, tentatively planned to take place May in California, ahead of that state’s June 7 primary. Both Sanders and Clinton agreed to a total of four more debates back in February, three of which have been held already.
“We believe that Hillary Clinton’s time is best spent campaigning and meeting directly with voters across California and preparing for a general election campaign that will ensure the White House remains in Democratic hands,” Palmieri said in the statement.
Bill Sammon, VP and Washington Managing Editor, released a statement on Monday in response.
“Naturally, Fox News is disappointed that Secretary Clinton has declined our debate invitation, especially given that the race is still contested and she had previously agreed to a final debate before the California primary.”