Amid conflicting reports that Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump was possibly under investigation for inciting a riot at a North Carolina rally last week, the Trump campaign released a statement Monday putting the blame on the protesters.
“It is the protestors and agitators who are in violation, not Mr. Trump or the campaign,” according to the statement.
John McGraw, 78, was arrested and charged Thursday with assault and battery as well as disorderly conduct, for allegedly sucker punching a black protester who was being escorted from Trump’s campaign event in Fayetteville.
Conflicting reports emerged Monday that said the local sheriff was investigating whether he would press charges against Trump or the campaign for “inciting a riot.” But, later in the day, a spokesperson told The Washington Post in a statement that there wasn’t “sufficient evidence” to charge Trump.
Here’s the full statement:
NEW: Trump issues statement about violence at NC rally: “It is the protestors and agitators who are in violation.” pic.twitter.com/AH0R0iDraJ
— ABC News Politics (@ABCPolitics) March 14, 2016