Bernie Sanders Accepts Fox News’ Dem Debate Invitation

Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) accepted an invitation from Fox News to participate in another Democratic presidential debate, his campaign announced Wednesday.

“Both campaigns have been invited by Fox News to a debate,” Jeff Weaver, Sanders’ campaign manager, said in a statement obtained by Politico. “We have told the network that we would accept the invitation with the understanding that we can reach mutual agreement on the debate moderators, the format and other details.”

The debate was tentatively planned to take place May in California, ahead of that state’s June 7 primary. Both Sanders and the frontrunner, Hillary Clinton, agreed to a total of four more debates back in February, three of which have been held already.

“Fox News has suggested several debate venues in California to the Democratic National Committee and both candidates. We are also offering a variety of dates, being careful to exclude Friday and Saturday nights, per the agreement between the DNC and candidates,” Bill Sammon, Fox’s vice president of news and Washington managing editor told Politico in a statement. “Fox will release further debate details as appropriate, given that only one of the two candidates has accepted our debate invitation so far.”

A Spokesperson for Clinton didn’t return Politico’s requests for comment.

Latest Livewire
Comments
Masthead Masthead
Founder & Editor-in-Chief:
Executive Editor:
Managing Editor:
Associate Editor:
Investigations Desk:
Reporters:
Newswriters:
Director of Audience:
Editor at Large:
General Counsel:
Publisher:
Head of Product:
Director of Technology:
Associate Publisher:
Front End Developer:
Senior Designer: