Former New York City mayor Michael Bloomberg said for the first time Monday that he is considering launching a White House bid, and told the Financial Times he’s “looking at all the options.”
“I find the level of discourse and discussion distressingly banal and an outrage and an insult to the voters,” Bloomberg told the financial publication.
The billionaire also told FT that Americans deserve “a lot better” and said he’s closely watching “what candidates are saying and what the primary voters appear to be doing.”
It’s not the first time Bloomberg has weighed mounting a third party ticket for the presidency, and unnamed sources told The New York Times that advisers began laying the groundwork for a possible 2016 run late last month.
Bloomberg has also reportedly told confidants that he would be willing to sink $1 billion of his own money into the effort.