It’s that time of year again, folks.
TPM’s 12th annual Golden Dukes are upon us and, much like 2017, this year gave us a seemingly bottomless pit of political disasters to consider.
Every year, TPM presents the Golden Dukes to memorialize the most comically terrible moments American politicians and their allies had to offer, from verbal face plants to blatant corruption. The awards are named after former Rep. Randall “Duke” Cunningham (R-CA), also known as former inmate No. 94405-198, who became an icon of corruption in modern day American politics due to his enormous bribery scandal.
Here are this year’s categories:
- Best Scandal: General Interest
- Best Scandal: Local Venue
- Meritorious Achievement In The Crazy
- Best Conspiracy Theory
- Best Campaign Trail Gaffe
- Literary Achievement In 280 Characters
- Outstanding Ineptitude In The Cabinet
Email us your nominees to email@example.com by December 10. We’ll post the nominees and our judges panel on December 12, and the lucky winners will be announced on December 28!
For inspiration, check out last year’s winners.
- Contributions allow us to hire more journalists
- Contributions allow us to provide free memberships to those who cannot afford them
- Contributions support independent, non-corporate journalism