Nearly 15,000 insurance applications submitted through HealthCare.gov during the website's troubled rollout were never received by insurers, the Washington Post reported Saturday.
The federal government does not know which individual applications failed to reach the companies, according to the Post. But officials told the newspaper that the situation was improving.
In a blog post published Saturday, Julie Bataille, spokeswoman for the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, said that the rate of errant applications had dropped from a high of 15 percent in mid-October to less than 0.4 percent in the early days of December.
"To make sure that no consumer falls through the cracks because of earlier pervasive troubles with the site, we are contacting every consumer who has selected a plan through the Federal Marketplace to remind them to pay their premium and connect with their insurer," Bataille wrote.
Federal officials have said repeatedly in recent weeks that consumers should contact their insurer to verify that their application had been processed properly.
About 137,000 people selected an insurance plan through HealthCare.gov in October and November.