New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie (R) confirmed during a radio interview Monday night that his office had received a subpoena for documents from federal prosecutors investigating the George Washington Bridge lane closures.
“They did that, and I understand why they did it,” Christe said, after being asked if his office had received a subpoena. “We had already communicated to them that we would cooperate voluntarily. They decided to send a subpoena, and that’s fine. We are complying with that in the same way that we’ll comply with the legislative subpoenas.”
Christie said he did not know exactly when the subpoena was due.
“We’ll comply and cooperate with the U.S. attorney’s inquiry into this, and comply with any of the documents that they’ve requested that are appropriate to turn over,” Christie said. “As quickly as we uncover them, that they’re responsive, and then turn them over.”
A lawyer representing both Christie’s re-election campaign and the state Republican Party told TPM last month that both groups had also been subpoenaed as part of the investigation.