Ex-DHS Official Warns Of ‘Intimidation Campaign’ Keeping GOPers From Accepting Trump Loss

UNITED STATES - OCTOBER 19: Christopher Krebs, acting Homeland Security Undersecretary for the National Protection and Programs Directorate, testifies during a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing in Dirksen Building on cyber-attack defense on October 19, 2017. (Photo By Tom Williams/CQ Roll Call)
UNITED STATES - OCTOBER 19: Christopher Krebs, acting Homeland Security Undersecretary for the National Protection and Programs Directorate, testifies during a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing in Dirksen Build... UNITED STATES - OCTOBER 19: Christopher Krebs, acting Homeland Security Undersecretary for the National Protection and Programs Directorate, testifies during a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing in Dirksen Building on cyber-attack defense on October 19, 2017. (Photo By Tom Williams/CQ Roll Call) MORE LESS
Start your day with TPM.
Sign up for the Morning Memo newsletter

Chris Krebs, the former Homeland Security official who was fired by the President after debunking election-related myths and conspiracy theories, on Wednesday warned of a “coordinated effort to intimidate Republicans” in light of his lawsuit against the Trump campaign and attorney Joe diGenova.

Last week, DiGenova, who is part of Trump’s legal team fanning the flames of baseless lawsuits contesting election results, said during a segment on Newsmax’s The Howie Carr Show that Krebs “should be drawn and quartered.”

On Monday, Krebs sued the Trump campaign and diGenova as he alleged defamation and emotional distress, as well as Newsmax for allegedly aiding and abetting in those efforts.

When asked on MSNBC on Wednesday whether he’s considering suing President Trump directly, who has frequently refused to condemn violence against public figures at odds with his baseless assertions, Krebs replied that DiGenova is part of the campaign. Krebs added that the Trump campaign lawyer’s accusations that he is a traitor who deserves to be punished is “something I’m not going to stand for, despite the consequence or the costs that come to me.”

Krebs argued that there is a “coordinated effort to intimidate Republicans from speaking up and accepting” the legitimacy of President-elect Joe Biden’s election victory.

Krebs pointed to the violent threats that Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp (R), Lt. Gov. Geoff Duncan and Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger — all of whom are lifelong Republicans, much like Krebs — have faced. Krebs cited the backlash Arizona Gov. Doug Ducey (R) has faced since certifying the battleground state’s election results handing Biden a win.

“There is just an intimidation campaign and I’m not going to stand for it,” Krebs said. “This in part can show that others that need to speak up in the future can do so.”

Asked if he has any regrets about being part of the Trump administration, Krebs said he has “zero regrets” about serving as the director of CISA.

“I think we built something enduring that will sustain not just this administration but far into the future. We did everything right. I would do it 1,000 times over,” Krebs said. “I couldn’t be more proud of that team in my time there.”

After touting that he “put country over party” and would “do it over again” despite suffering consequences for it, Krebs wondered aloud why fellow Republicans won’t do the same.

“I suspect based on my experience, in part, they are, you know, they don’t want to be put in this position, but there’s also the political implications and the political suicide, as some say, in speaking up,” Krebs said. “It’s time to get past this and this has to stop. Everyone, Republicans need to stand up for the country.”

Watch Krebs’ remarks below:

Latest News
Comments
Masthead Masthead
Founder & Editor-in-Chief:
Executive Editor:
Managing Editor:
Associate Editor:
Editor at Large:
General Counsel:
Publisher:
Head of Product:
Director of Technology:
Associate Publisher:
Front End Developer:
Senior Designer: