This post has been updated.
After he spent the weekend attacking Fox News host Megyn Kelly for the questions she posed at the Republican presidential debate, Donald Trump on Monday said that he has since spoken to Fox News president Roger Ailes.
Roger Ailes just called. He is a great guy & assures me that “Trump” will be treated fairly on @FoxNews. His word is always good!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 10, 2015
Earlier on Monday, Trump declined to say whether he had spoken with anyone at Fox News over the weekend, when asked by MSNBC “Morning Joe” co-host Joe Scarborough.
“Obviously it’s not in Fox News’ best interest to be in a war with you, it’s not in your best interest to be in a war with Fox News. Have you talked to Roger [Ailes] over the weekend? Have you talked to anybody at Fox News over the weekend about trying to find common ground with the network?” Scarborough asked.
“Well, I don’t want to say that,” Trump responded. He then repeatedly declined to say whether a phone call took place.
Trump has been at war with Fox News since the Thursday night presidential debate, when Megyn Kelly asked him about his treatment of women. Trump called her question “unfair” and later said that she had “blood coming out of her wherever” during the debate.
Fox News Chairman Roger Ailes issued a statement on Monday evening confirming that the call with Trump took place.
“Donald Trump and I spoke today. We discussed our concerns, and I again expressed my confidence in Megyn Kelly. She is a brilliant journalist and I support her 100 percent,” Ailes said in the statement. “I assured him that we will continue to cover this campaign with fairness & balance. We had a blunt but cordial conversation and the air has been cleared.”
During a Tuesday morning interview on CNN, Trump said that after the call with Ailes, he has “no problem.”