Andrew Sullivan’s ‘The Dish’ To Publish Its Last Post On Friday

Blogger Andrew Sullivan announced on Wednesday that he would be bringing his site The Dish to an end on Friday, with no chance of his staff continuing the site without him.

“[T]he simple truth is: all three co-owners of the site, me, Patrick Appel and Chris Bodenner, have come to the conclusion that the practical, financial and editorial challenges of continuing on are simply too great for us to bear as we are, let alone without me,” Sullivan wrote.

A pioneer of blogging, Sullivan made news last Wednesday when he announced that he would be quitting blogging “in the near future.” Over the following week, readers and reporters speculated as to whether his site would continue to operate without him.

After many discussions and meetings with investors, Sullivan said, the Dish staff decided it was not in the cards.

“We’re incredibly proud of what we’ve achieved, which is why, in some ways, we’d rather end it while it’s still thriving than run the risk of seeing it all slowly fall apart,” he wrote.

Sullivan called the decision “painful,” but said he and his staff were proud of creating a “fifteen-year experiment at the dawn of the new media age.”

Ed. Note: The writer of this post, Brendan James, previously worked for Sullivan at The Dish as an intern.

Comments
Masthead Masthead
Editor & Publisher:
Managing Editor:
Senior News Editor:
Assistant Editor:
Editor at Large:
Investigations Desk:
Senior Political Correspondent:
Reporters:
Newswriters:
Front Page Editor:
Social Media Editor:
Editor for Prime & Special Projects:
General Manager & General Counsel:
Executive Publisher:
Head of Product:
Director of Technology:
Publishing Associate:
Front-End Developer:
Designer: