The White House released a statement Tuesday night denying reports that the United States would suspend all military aid to Egypt.
“The reports that we are halting all military assistance to Egypt are false,” National Security Council spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden said in a statement.
CNN on Tuesday cited an unnamed U.S. official who said that an “accumulation of events” led to the U.S.’ decision on a “full suspension” of military aid to Egypt, according to Reuters. CNN later updated its story to clarify that the initial report did not specify certain portions of military aid would continue. Reuters cited an unnamed U.S. official who said that the U.S. was leaning toward suspending most military aid.
“We will announce the future of our assistance relationship with Egypt in the coming days, but as the President made clear at UNGA, that assistance relationship will continue,” Hayden said in the statement.
Catherine Thompson is a senior editor for Talking Points Memo in New York City. She came to the site in 2013 and reported on national affairs. Previously, she worked as a research assistant to investigative reporter Wayne Barrett. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.