White House press secretary Sean Spicer on Monday maintained his silence on President Donald Trump’s suggestion that he may have recorded conversations with ousted FBI Director James Comey.
RealClearPolitics’ Alexis Simendinger questioned Spicer during his daily briefing about Republican and Democratic lawmakers’ requests for additional information on Trump’s apparent warning to Comey.
Trump on Friday tweeted that Comey “better hope that there are no ‘tapes’ of our conversation before he starts leaking to the press!”
James Comey better hope that there are no "tapes" of our conversations before he starts leaking to the press!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) May 12, 2017
“Is the White House intending to cooperate with those requests and furnish that information as requested in writing?” Simendinger asked.
“I think I made it clear last week that the President has nothing further on that,” Spicer said.
“Does that mean that the President will deny requests?” Simendinger asked.
“I was very clear that the President would have nothing further on that last week,” Spicer said.
“You’re describing a situation in which the President would defy the legislative branch’s request,” Simendinger pressed. “That’s what you’re saying.”
“I understand,” Spicer said. “I’ve made it clear what the President’s position is on that issue.”
During his daily briefing on Friday, Spicer dodged questions about whether Trump recorded his conversations with Comey. He also would not clarify whether Trump continues to record his conversations in the Oval Office.
“The tweet speaks for itself,” Spicer said, a well-worn refrain from White House spokespersons pressed to answer for Trump’s bombshell posts. “I’m moving on.”