Trump: It’s ‘Wrong’ That My Son Has To Stop Fundraising For His Foundation

Gerald Herbert

Donald Trump on Friday said that it was a “ridiculous shame” that his son Eric will no longer raise funds for his charitable foundation over concerns about influence-peddling.

In a pair of tweets, the President-elect lamented that it was the “wrong answer” for Eric Trump to “no longer be allowed to raise money for children with cancer” because of a “possible conflict of interest” with his presidency.

Trump’s son announced on Wednesday that he would no longer directly solicit contributions to the Eric Trump Foundation, which helps raise money for institutions like the St. Jude’s Children Research Hospital, out of concerns that donors could expect access to the President-elect in return. Eric Trump said he understood the ethical “quagmire” of the situation.

This move came after the Trump children came under scrutiny for their involvement in several charitable opportunities that allowed donors access to themselves or their father in exchange for large sums.

Eric Trump and the rest of the family are still free to donate to charities themselves.

The Trump family has made no announcement yet about plans for the Trump Foundation, a charity run by the President-elect that faced scrutiny during the election for using money intended for charity to settle lawsuits against Trump’s businesses and even purchase a portrait of the real estate mogul.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Allegra Kirkland is a New York-based reporter for Talking Points Memo. She previously worked on The Nation’s web team and as the associate managing editor for AlterNet. Follow her on Twitter @allegrakirkland.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK