Trump Blames ‘Travel Ban’ Tumult On ‘Bad’ Court

Protesters rally in front of John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York, Sunday, Jan. 29, 2017. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)
Seth Wenig/AP

President Donald Trump said Thursday that the rollout of his “travel ban” was smooth but that it was interrupted by a “bad court.”

“We had a bad decision. We had a court that’s been overturned, again, it may be wrong, but I think it’s 80 percent of the time. A lot. We had a bad decision,” Trump said at an hourlong press conference in the East Room of the White House.

“We’re going to keep going with that decision,” he said, referring to the original order. “We’re going to put in a new executive order next week sometime, but we had a bad decision. That’s the only thing that was wrong with the travel ban.”

Dozens of people were initially denied entry to the United States in the hours after Trump signed the travel-related executive order, prompting massive protests at airports across the country.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Matt Shuham is a news writer for TPM. He was previously assistant editor of The National Memo and managing editor of the Harvard Political Review. He is available by email at mshuham@talkingpointsmemo.com and on Twitter @mattshuham.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK