Rick Scott Acknowledges Flaws In 2012 Voter Purge, But Says Next One Will Be Better

AP

Florida Gov. Rick Scott’s (R) administration is owning up to flaws in last year’s effort to purge noncitizens from voter rolls, the Miami Herald reported Sunday.

“I accept responsibility for the effort,” Florida Secretary of State Ken Detzner said. “It could have been better. It should have been better.”

The Scott administration is trying to assuage concerns as it begins its next voter purge, which will be known as “Project Integrity.” According to the Herald, Drezner will wrap up a five-day road tour to promote the project this week.

Florida’s list of suspected noncitizens dwindled from 182,000 to 2,600 to 198 prior to the 2012 election. 

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Tom Kludt is a reporter for Talking Points Memo based in New York City, covering media and national affairs. Originally from South Dakota, Tom joined TPM as an intern in late-2011 and became a staff member during the 2012 election. He can be reached at tom@talkingpointsmemo.com.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK