The father of one of the victims of a mass shooting near the University of California, Santa Barbara placed the blame for his son’s death on politicians once again Monday, invoking the 2012 elementary school massacre in Newtown, Conn.
“Have we learned nothing? These things are going to continue until somebody does something,” Richard Martinez said in an interview with CNN. “So where the hell is the leadership? Where the hell are these people we elect to congress that we spend so much money on? These people are getting rich sitting in Congress, and what do they do? They don’t take care of our kids. My kid died because nobody responded to what happened at Sandy Hook.”
Martinez’s son, Christopher, was the last of six victims allegedly killed by Elliot Rodger before the suspected shooter took his own life. An emotional Martinez had railed against “craven, irresponsible politicians” and the National Rifle Association for their support of gun rights at a Saturday press conference. He redoubled his criticism of Congress in his interview with CNN, calling lawmakers a “rudderless bunch of idiots.”
A visibly angry Martinez expressed dismay that no legislative action has been taken since 20 elementary school students were killed by shooter Adam Lanza in Newtown.
“Those parents lost little kids. I had 20 years with my son. That’s all I’ll ever have,” he said. “But those people lost their children at 6 and 7 years old. How do you think they feel? And who’s talking to them now, who’s doing anything for them now? Who is standing up for those kids that died back then in an elementary school? Why wasn’t something done? It’s outrageous.”
Image via CNN
Catherine Thompson is a senior editor for Talking Points Memo in New York City. She came to the site in 2013 and reported on national affairs. Previously, she worked as a research assistant to investigative reporter Wayne Barrett. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.