Paul Ryan To Give 2016 Bid ‘A Hard Look’ At The End Of His Term

ASSOCIATED PRESS

For now, former vice presidential nominee Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) said he’s focused on legislating — but come 2014, he plans evaluate the odds for another shot at the White House.

“I’ve decided I will consider this later,” Ryan told the Des Moines Register in an interview published Tuesday. “Once I’m through with this term, then I’m going to give a hard look at it.”

This year Ryan has been asked repeatedly whether or not he’s considering a run at the top of the Republican ticket in 2016, and he’s repeatedly demurred in response. 

Ahead of a trip to Iowa this weekend, the Wisconsin Republican told the Register that he is busy working on the federal budget and policy issues like health care and immigration reform, rather than “worrying about my own personal ambitions or career moves.” The congressman has indeed been keeping busy, citing budget negotiations as the reason he took a pass on campaigning for the Republican gubernatorial candidate in Virginia, Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli.

Recent polls have shown Ryan towards the back of the potential 2016 pack, trailing Republican contenders like New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, Texas Sen. Ted Cruz and Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul.

 

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Catherine Thompson is a senior editor for Talking Points Memo in New York City. She came to the site in 2013 and reported on national affairs. Previously, she worked as a research assistant to investigative reporter Wayne Barrett. She can be reached at catherine@talkingpointsmemo.com.

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK