President Barack Obama said Wednesday that Americans shouldn’t fear going to the movies over the holidays amid hackers’ threats of violence against theaters screening Sony Picture’s “The Interview.”
ABC News’ David Muir asked the President whether the threat of terror attacks against theaters showing the film, which ends with a graphic depiction of North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un’s death, was legitimate. The interview was taped before Sony announced it would scuttle the Christmas release of “The Interview” altogether.
“Well, the cyberattack is very serious,” Obama said, but he added that he’s seen no “credible evidence” of any threat to theaters.
“You know, we’ll be vigilant. If we see something that we think is serious and credible, then we’ll alert the public,” he said. “But for now, my recommendation would be that people go to the movies.”
Catherine Thompson is a senior editor for Talking Points Memo in New York City. She came to the site in 2013 and reported on national affairs. Previously, she worked as a research assistant to investigative reporter Wayne Barrett. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.