North Korea Warns Of ‘Super-Mighty Preemptive Strike’ Against United States

North Korean sit at the back of a truck as it drives along Mirae Scientists Street on Wednesday, April 19, 2017, in Pyongyang, North Korea which just celebrated its late leader Kim Il Sung's 105th birth anniversary with a military parade. (AP Photo/Wong Maye-E)
Wong Maye-E/AP

North Korea has engaged in some creative saber-rattling, warning of a “super-mighty preemptive strike” against the United States and South Korea, according to a Reuters report published Thursday.

“In the case of our super-mighty preemptive strike being launched, it will completely and immediately wipe out not only U.S. imperialists’ invasion forces in South Korea and its surrounding areas but the U.S. mainland and reduce them to ashes,” the country’s ruling party said in its official newspaper, according to Reuters.

The comment came after Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said Wednesday that he was “reviewing all of the status of North Korea, both in terms of state sponsorship of terrorism as well as all the other ways in which we can bring pressure to bear on the regime in Pyongyang to reengage.”

Tillerson was responding to a reporter’s question about the possibility of North Korea being restored to the United States’ list of state sponsors of terrorism, from which the country was removed by the Bush administration in an attempt to salvage a nuclear weapons deal. The deal fell apart after former President Obama took office.

Vice President Mike Pence said Wednesday in Japan, aboard the USS Ronald Reagan, that “we will defeat any attack and meet any use of conventional or nuclear weapons with an overwhelming and effective American response.” He added: “All options are on the table. History will attest the soldier does not bear the sword in vain.”

Two days earlier, Pence took part in some unscheduled mean-mugging at North Korea, stepping outside of the South Korean Freedom House to look across the demilitarized zone.

“I thought it was important that we went outside,” he said, according to the Washington Post. “I thought it was important that people on the other side of the DMZ see our resolve in my face.”

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Matt Shuham is a news writer for TPM. He was previously assistant editor of The National Memo and managing editor of the Harvard Political Review. He is available by email at mshuham@talkingpointsmemo.com and on Twitter @mattshuham.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK