Man Wrongly Identified As Navy Yard Shooter Urges Media To Focus On Getting It Right

AP

The man wrongly identified as the gunman at the Washington, DC Navy Yard spoke out to the Huffington Post on Friday with a plea to the media that implicated his name in the shooting.

Both CBS and NBC reported briefly Monday that retired Chief Petty Officer Rollie Chance, 50, was identified as the gunman before quickly retracting those reports. 

“I’m looking for something like this not to happen to anyone else,” Chance told the Huffington Post. “I wouldn’t wish this on my worst enemy. I think there needs to be some accountability in reporting. Instead of being the first reporter to have breaking news, you have to have accountability. Verify before you vilify.”

Chance, who said he still hadn’t left his home since the incident, recounted how he thought it “must be a joke” when a call from ABC News first indicated to him that he was a suspect in the shooting.

Read the interview here.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Catherine Thompson is a senior editor for Talking Points Memo in New York City. She came to the site in 2013 and reported on national affairs. Previously, she worked as a research assistant to investigative reporter Wayne Barrett. She can be reached at catherine@talkingpointsmemo.com.
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK