Donald Trump’s former campaign manager Kellyanne Conway confirmed Monday that she “politely declined” an offer to be the President-elect’s White House press secretary.
Conway told conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt that she declined the offer for the “incredibly important” position, confirming previous reports that she’d turned down the post.
“I have politely declined that job, Hugh, and I completely agree,” she said. “I think it’s an incredibly important position to fill. And I know that there will be a qualified man or woman who takes that position and does an excellent job for President Trump and Vice President Pence. As you can imagine, if it’s President Trump’s administration, communications will be a very important aspect of it.”
Conway had hinted at turning down a White House position before, saying that she doesn’t believe men who work in politics would want their wives to take on roles in the White House.
“And I do politely mention to them the question isn’t would you take the job, the male sitting across from me who’s going to take a big job in the White House. The question is would you want your wife to,” she said last week at an event hosted by Politico. “Would you want the mother of children to? You really see their entire visage change. It’s like, ‘Oh, no, they wouldn’t want their wife to take that job.’ But it’s, it’s all good.”