Dad Considers Lawsuit Over NY Post’s ‘Bag Men’ Cover

The father of one of the men featured on the New York Post’s infamous “Bag Men” front page, which painted the men as persons of interest in the Boston Marathon bombing, is considering his legal options, according to the Washington Post.

On April 18, the New York Post’s front page showed two men carrying bags under the headline, “BAG MEN.” A smaller headline read, “Feds seek these two pictured at Boston Marathon.”

“A lot of people, they tell me that’s your right to sue them,” El Houssein Barhoum, the father of Salah Barhoum, told the Post in an article published on Tuesday. “I will give him my case and he will study it.”

According to Barhoum, the publication of the paper’s front page has taken a toll on his son:

Should the family file a civil complaint, it’ll surely address the upheaval that the New York Post has helped bring to the Barhoum household. The son in the photo, Salah Barhoum, a 16-year-old track athlete (other accounts say he’s 17), sleeps one or two hours per night these days, says El Houssein Barhoum, and sometimes “refuses to go to school.” “He says, ‘I don’t want people to ask me a lot of questions,’ ” the father reports.

Read the rest here.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

David Taintor is a news editor at Talking Points Memo. Previously, he worked at NBC News and Adweek. He’s a native of Minnesota. Reach him at taintor@talkingpointsmemo.com.

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK