The chairman of CBS News and executive producer of “60 Minutes” on Friday apologized for airing a discredited story on last year’s attack in Benghazi, Libya that has since been retracted.
“Everyone in the news business knows that you can make a mistake, and there are people out there looking to deceive reporters. In this case, he was a very good one,” Jeff Fager told Variety in an interview.
“We like to think we are perfect as much as we can be. In this case, we were not,” he added. “The most important thing now is that we own it: We made a mistake. We are sorry.”
A correction to the story will air on Sunday’s program. CBS said it was misled by the source who provided the account, and publication has been halted for a book about the night on Sept. 11, 2012.
Igor Bobic is the assistant editor of Talking Points Memo, helping oversee the site’s coverage of politics and policy in Washington. While originally from Bosnia and Herzegovina, Igor feels best at home on the beaches of Southern California. He can be reached at email@example.com.