3 Men In Custody After Shooting Of Black Lives Matter Protesters

AP

Additional reporting by Lauren Fox.

Authorities said late Tuesday that three men were in custody after a group of white supremacists allegedly opened fire on Black Lives Matter protesters Monday night in Minneapolis.

The Minneapolis Police Department said in a news release that two white men, aged 26 and 21, voluntarily turned themselves in around 2:30 p.m. Tuesday and were being interviewed by investigators.

Previously, police said they arrested a 23-year-old white man in nearby Bloomington, Minnesota and took a 32-year-old Hispanic man into custody in Minneapolis. Both arrests were made in connection with the shooting, which left five demonstrators injured. Police later tweeted that the Hispanic man was not present Monday night at the scene of the shooting and had been released from custody.

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune, citing anonymous sources, identified those detained as Allen Lawrence “Lance” Scarsella III, 23; Nathan Gustavsson, 21; and Daniel Macey, 26. A spokesman for the Minneapolis Police Department, John Elder, would not confirm those names to TPM on Wednesday. Police previously said the suspects would be identified upon charging.

The newspaper reported earlier Tuesday that authorities were weighing whether to treat the shooting as a hate crime, citing anonymous sources familiar with the investigation.

This post has been updated.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR

Catherine Thompson is a senior editor for Talking Points Memo in New York City. She came to the site in 2013 and reported on national affairs. Previously, she worked as a research assistant to investigative reporter Wayne Barrett. She can be reached at catherine@talkingpointsmemo.com.

LIKE US ON FACEBOOK