WH Doctor Memo Says Trump No Longer Contagious, But Leaves Questions Unanswered

White House physician Sean Conley (C) answers questions surrounded by other doctors, during an update on the condition of US President Donald Trump, on October 5, 2020, at Walter Reed Medical Center in Bethesda, Mary... White House physician Sean Conley (C) answers questions surrounded by other doctors, during an update on the condition of US President Donald Trump, on October 5, 2020, at Walter Reed Medical Center in Bethesda, Maryland. - President Donald Trump announced that he is leaving the hospital where he was given emergency treatment for Covid-19 and told the nation, where the virus has killed almost 210,000 people this year, that they have nothing to worry about. (Photo by SAUL LOEB / AFP) (Photo by SAUL LOEB/AFP via Getty Images) MORE LESS
|
October 11, 2020 9:29 a.m.

White House physician Dr. Sean Conley declared in a memo issued late Saturday that President Trump is no longer at risk of transmitting COVID-19 as he resumes campaign events following his discharge from Walter Reed last week, but fails to address lingering questions regarding Trump’s health condition.

In his memo released Saturday, Conley wrote that Trump meets CDC criteria “for the safe discontinuation of isolation,” citing a COVID PCR sample that morning, and therefore the President is “no longer considered a transmission risk to others.”

Conley wrote that Trump has been “fever-free for well over 24 hours and all symptoms improved” — a report that comes after previous memos in the past week saying that the President was fever-free for several consecutive days.

Conley also wrote that diagnostic tests showed “there is no longer evidence of actively replicating virus” and that he will continue to monitor the President “clinically as he returns to an active schedule.”

Newsletters
Get TPM in your inbox, twice weekly.
Your subscription could not be saved. Please try again.
Your subscription has been successful.

Conley’s memo did not address when Trump last tested negative for COVID-19, much like his memos within the past week and his evasive briefings on the President’s health condition last weekend. The White House has provided few details on Trump’s condition, and has repeatedly dodged questions regarding the President’s last negative COVID-19 test.

Conley’s memo also comes after Trump held his first major public appearance since returning to the White House following his discharge from Walter Reed. The President spoke to hundreds of supporters — who did not appear to practice social distancing and not all were wearing masks — on the South Lawn of the White House from a balcony.

Additionally, the White House physician’s memo was issued ahead of Trump’s campaign rally scheduled in Florida on Monday, and appears to give the President — who is itching to get back on the campaign trail as he attempts to portray himself as a strongman who won’t let COVID-19 scare him — the clear to resume public events.

Latest News
Comments
Masthead Masthead
Founder & Editor-in-Chief:
Executive Editor:
Managing Editor:
Associate Editor:
Investigations Desk:
Reporters:
Newswriters:
Senior Editor for Content Strategy and Audience Development:
Editor at Large:
General Counsel:
Publisher:
Head of Product:
Director of Technology:
Associate Publisher:
Front End Developer:
Senior Designer: