The Trump administration is slightly backing off of a new rule announced last month that would force immigrants who are in need of lifesaving medical care to return home or risk deportation, the New York Times reported.
Early last month U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services cut out one of its “deferred action” services that at least halts deportation proceedings while an undocumented immigrant or their kin receive medical care for life threatening illnesses or injuries. Those who have been avoiding deportation under the program received notice on August 7 that they had to leave the country within 33 days or they’d be deported.
The agency told the Times in a statement on Monday that it was taking a step back and would at least “complete the caseload that was pending on August 7.” It is unclear if the program will remain cut moving forward.
“Whether a very limited version of deferred action will continue forward at U.S.C.I.S. is still under review. More information will be forthcoming,” an agency official told the Times when the newspaper asked for clarification.
- -Hiring More Journalists
- -Providing free memberships to those who cannot afford them
- -Supporting independent, non-corporate journalism