Here are the stories that caught our attention.
Today’s Big Scoop
Trump’s Justice Department secretly seized the Apple data records of House Intelligence Committee Chair Adam Schiff (D-CA) and Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-CA) in the administration’s hunt for leaks, according to a bombshell report by the New York Times, later confirmed by other outlets.
- The seizure included data of the members’ families, too, including a minor.
- Schiff is calling on Attorney General Merrick Garland and the DOJ’s inspector general to investigate the jaw-dropping subpoenas.
- What Schiff said: “The politicization of the Department and the attacks on the rule of law are among the most dangerous assaults on our democracy carried out by the former President.”
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) backed her colleague’s demand for an investigation into the “harrowing” reports. “Transparency is essential,” she said.
- Yep, that about sums it up:
I’m just a novelist but the DOJ seems like broken roomba stuck trying to clean the wrong corner of the house.
— Alexander Chee (@alexanderchee) June 11, 2021
‘Operation Hall Pass’ Fail
The Oregon House expelled a Republican lawmaker who let far-right armed protesters into the state Capitol building during a special session in December.
The Next Act In Infrastructure Theater
A bipartisan group of 10 senators, which includes Sens. Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ) and Joe Manchin (D-WV), say they’ve reached a deal on infrastructure spending that wouldn’t include any tax increases.
- The White House says “questions need to be addressed.”
- Congressional leaders have not yet weighed in on the group’s proposal.
“Republicans in the States Are Proving Joe Manchin Wrong” – The Atlantic
Please Love Me, Mr. Trump, Sir
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) vowed on Thursday to build a wall on the southern border in his state, the Texas Tribune reports.
Biden In Europe
- After meeting with Biden on Thursday, British Prime Minister Boris Johnson told the BBC that the U.K. and the U.S. have an “indestructible relationship” that has “endured for a very long time.”
- Biden will be meeting with G-7 leaders today.
You’re Almost There
Sen. Marco Rubio (R-FL) wants to provide automatic student loan deferments-but only for “survivors of terrorist attacks.”
In Case You Missed It
CNN analyst Jeffrey Toobin, who got fired from the New Yorker in November for whipping his Toobout during a Zoom work call, made a comeback on Thursday on the network after months of exile. “Nothing is really in my defense,” he told CNN’s Alisyn Camerota, adding that the incident was “deeply moronic and indefensible.”
—@AlisynCamerota: “You were caught masturbating on camera … to quote Jay Leno, ‘What the hell were you thinking?'” @JeffreyToobin says he “wasn’t thinking” and apologizes to his family, those on Zoom call, and CNN colleagues. He says he's working to be a better person. pic.twitter.com/XjH0B3qpMA
— Oliver Darcy (@oliverdarcy) June 10, 2021
- Oh, to be a white man: An anonymous CNN executive told the Washington Post: “I don’t think that one terrible mistake should define a person or ruin their employment opportunities for life.”
Fox News Having A Normal One
Tucker and guest discuss how tragic and unnatural it is that AOC hasn't had a baby. pic.twitter.com/2DBSVx4whm
— nikki mccann ramírez (@NikkiMcR) June 11, 2021
Biden is a “liberal progressive socialist Marxist,” Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI) declared on Hannity Thursday night.
What did you think of Morning Memo? Let us know.