First Lady Melania Trump complained about what she claimed to be “false misleading accusations” against her on Monday morning in her first statement on the violent assault President Donald Trump’s supporters inflicted upon the Capitol last Wednesday.
“I am disappointed and disheartened with what happened last week. I find it shameful that surrounding these tragic events there has been salacious gossip, unwarranted personal attacks, and false misleading accusations on me – from people who are looking to be relevant and have an agenda,” she said in a statement released by the White House. “This time is solely about healing our country and its citizens. It should not be used for personal gain.”
The first lady asserted that “our Nation must heal in a civil manner” and that she “absolutely” condemns the insurrection, though she did not mention that her husband was the one who had encouraged his supporters to mob the Capitol, which led to five deaths.
CNN correspondent Kate Bennett noted that part of Trump’s statement was copied directly from her speech at the 2020 Republican National Convention (RNC):
— Kate Bennett (@KateBennett_DC) January 11, 2021
Trump’s response on Monday came after CNN reported that she ignored the attack while doing a photoshoot in the White House.
“Photos were being taken of rugs and other items in the Executive Residence and the East Wing,” a source told CNN.
The first lady’s chief of staff, Stephanie Grisham, resigned on the night of the attack in one of several 11th-hour departures by Trump officials after the riot.