‘End Of An Error’: Cancellation Of ‘Lou Dobbs Tonight’ Sparks Cheers

NEW YORK, NY - DECEMBER 13: Lou Dobbs hosts "Lou Dobbs Tonight" at Fox Business Network Studios on December 13, 2018 in New York City. (Photo by Steven Ferdman/Getty Images)
|
February 6, 2021 10:55 a.m.

Lou Dobbs was booted from Fox Business on Friday when the right-wing news network cancelled his weekday TV show which had become a launching pad for a number of false election fraud theories perpetuated by former President Donald Trump and his allies in the wake of Trump’s electoral defeat in the 2020 presidential race.

Dobbs’s departure after ten years on the network comes a day after the election technology company Smartmatic filed a defamation lawsuit against Fox Corporation and Fox News seeking damages of at least $2.7 billion. The suit named Dobbs as an individual defendant along with two other Fox anchors, Maria Bartiromo and Jeanine Pirro. 

“Plans have been in place to launch new formats as appropriate postelection, including on Fox Business,” the network said in a statement obtained by The Los Angeles times who first reported the show’s cancellation. “This is part of those planned changes.”

Apart from the network’s statement it’s unclear whether the network’s concerns about Dobbs had been sparked purely by the lawsuit or if the cancellation had been in the works some time before, but the move notably comes on the heels of Smartmatic pointedly citing the show in its lawsuit. 

A Fox News spokesperson defended its election coverage in a statement Thursday, saying, “we are proud of our 2020 election coverage and will vigorously defend against this meritless lawsuit in court.”

A source familiar with personnel matters told The New York Times that the pro-Trump host’s extreme and longstanding endorsements of Trump’s election falsehoods had threatened his position, as did comments he made during the deadly Capitol riot last month. Although others on the right-ring news networks have made similarly bogus claims and have not had their shows cancelled.

Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) responded to the news in a tweet early Saturday appearing to highlight the lawsuit’s bearings on the decision to boot the pro-Trump host.

“The guy can lie with impunity for years, but a lawsuit, and the prospect of having to answer questions under oath, suddenly changes everything,” Whitehouse said. 

Trump responded to the news of the cancellation in a statement Friday evening: “Lou Dobbs is and was great. Nobody loves America more than Lou. He had a large and loyal following that will be watching closely for his next move, and that following includes me.”

Dobbs meanwhile began immediately retweeting posts that lavished praise on his show.

Others took to Twitter in cheer over the news of the show’s cancellation:

 

Latest News
Comments
Masthead Masthead
Founder & Editor-in-Chief:
Executive Editor:
Managing Editor:
Senior Editor:
Special Projects Editor:
Editor at Large:
General Counsel:
Publisher:
Head of Product:
Director of Technology:
Associate Publisher:
Front-End Developer:
Senior Designer: