Why was former hot tub salesman Matthew Whitaker named Acting Attorney General? And, furthermore, what was asked of him once he assumed control of federal law enforcement?
One incident in which Trump allegedly asked Whitaker if he could put an ally — acting U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York Geoffrey Berman — in charge of the Cohen investigation is at the center of the House Judiciary Committee’s crosshairs in the probe.
House investigators are interested in the following witnesses and entities:
- Former chief of staff to Don McGahn Annie Donaldson
- Former White House Counsel Don McGahn
- Donald Trump Jr., presidential son and Trump Org executive
- Eric Trump, son of the president and Trump Org executive
- Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law and White House adviser
- Jay Sekulow, personal attorney to President Trump
- Michael Cohen, former personal attorney and fixer for President Trump
- The White House