Smashed windows. Threats of violence. A slashed gas line. Reports of vandalism and threats against Democrats have been stacking up over the past few days.
Majority Leader Steny Hoyer today estimated that 10 members had been threatened over the health care vote.
So just how bad is it out there?We decided to make a map of all the instances of vandalism and serious threats against Democrats. Check it out below — and click the markers for details on each incident. (ed.note: Be sure to zoom in on Ohio.)
Below the map, we round up some other late developments on the threats against Dems.
*(This map was last updated April 7, 2010.)*
View Vandalism Surrounding Passage of Health Reform in a larger map
* Rep. Steve Driehaus (D-OH), who is on the map above, today [said he confronted](http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/03/amid-death-threats-dem-rep-dreihaus-points-the-finger-at-gop-leadership.php) Minority Leader John Boehner over an interview in which Boehner said Driehaus would be a “dead man” if he voted for the bill. “I think it’s really important for folks around here, especially leader Boehner, to understand that his words have consequences,” Driehaus said.
* Rep. Louise Slaughter (D-NY), on the map for an attack on her district office, [released a statement](http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/03/slaughter-on-violence-and-threats-gop-fanning-the-flames-with-coded-rhetoric.php) pointing the finger at the GOP leadership: “It’s more disturbing to me that Republican leadership has not condemned these attacks and instead appears to be fanning the flames with coded rhetoric.” Slaughter also said she got a voice mail “referencing snipers.”
* Sarah Palin [posted on Facebook](http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/03/palin-uses-crosshairs-to-identify-dems-who-voted-for-health-care-reform.php) a map of her own — showing cross-hair graphics over the districts of vulnerable Democrats who backed the health reform legislation. Earlier she tweeted “Commonsense Conservatives & lovers of America: ‘Don’t Retreat, Instead – RELOAD!’ Pls see my Facebook page.”
* Rep. Chris Van Hollen (D-MD), chair of the DCCC, called for “some adult supervision within the Republican party” in [an interview on MSNBC](http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/03/van-hollen-on-threats-the-gop-leadership-is-pouring-gasoline-on-flames.php) Wednesday. “The Republican leadership, instead of saying to its supporters around the country, ‘calm down’ … they are pouring more and more gasoline on flames. And that is irresponsible,” he said.
* On CNN last night, RNC chief Michael Steele [said of Nancy Pelosi](http://tpmlivewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/2010/03/steele-lets-get-pelosi-ready-for-the-firing-line-in-november-video.php): “This November, they’re gonna pay. So let’s start getting Nancy ready for the firing line this November.”