One doesn’t have to look far to find instances of fraudulent ballots cast in actual elections by ‘voters’ who were the figments of active imaginations. In 1984, a district attorney in Brooklyn, N.Y. (a Democrat), released the findings of a grand jury that reported extensive registration and impersonation fraud between 1968 and 1982.
Other things that happened in 1982:
- The end of commercial whaling
- The first compact discs — commonly known as CDs — are released in Germany
- The Double Stuf Oreo goes on sale.
- The Dow hits an all-time high of 1,065.49.
- Michael Jackson releases Thriller.
- Time’s “Man of the Year” is given to the first non-human: The Computer.