U.S. Attorney Dismisses Case Against Initial Ricin Suspect

The United States Attorney has dismissed “without prejudice” all charges against Paul Kevin Curtis, the man initially identified as a suspect after letters that tested positive for ricin were mailed to President Barack Obama and other officials. 

In an order for dismissal filed this afternoon, Assistant United States Attorney William Lamar said the charges against Curtis were dismissed because “the ongoing investigation has revealed new information.” By dismissing without prejudice, the government is reserving the right to refile charges later.

After Curtis was released Tuesday, his attorney, Christi McCoy said in an interview with CNN that she believed he had been set up by another person. That same afternoon FBI agents visited the home of Everett Dutschke, a man McCoy suggested may have framed her client earlier this week. 

View the order for dismissal below:

Order For Dismissal

 (Updated with documents 5:58 PM)

Comments
Masthead Masthead
Editor & Publisher:
Managing Editor:
Senior Editor:
News Editor:
Asistant Editor:
Editor at Large:
Investigations Desk:
Senior Political Correspondent:
Reporters:
Newswriters:
Front Page Editor:
Social Media Editor:
Prime Editor:
General Manager & General Counsel:
Executive Publisher:
Head of Product:
Director of Technology:
Publishing Associate:
Front-End Developer:
Designer: