Did Sen. Kirk Find Himself On Flights With A Bomb Threat And No-Fly Passenger?

FILE - In this June 9, 2014 file photo, U.S. Sen. Mark Kirk R-Ill., speaks during an interview in his office. Kirk is the fifth GOP senator to announce support for Loretta Lynch's nomination for U.S. attorney general... FILE - In this June 9, 2014 file photo, U.S. Sen. Mark Kirk R-Ill., speaks during an interview in his office. Kirk is the fifth GOP senator to announce support for Loretta Lynch's nomination for U.S. attorney general. Kirk told attendees of the City Club of Chicago on Thursday, April 2, 2015 that he spoke with Lynch about the need to fight gang violence in Chicago and was impressed with her response. President Barack Obama nominated her last year to replace Eric Holder. (AP Photo/M. Spencer Green, File) MORE LESS

There are conflicting stories about a flight Sen. Mark Kirk (R-IL) took home to Chicago in May.

In an interview with the Daily Herald of Chicago, Kirk said his flight from Washington D.C.’s Reagan National Airport to Chicago’s O’Hare airport had to be evacuated because of a bomb threat. Kirk told the Chicago newspaper that on the subsequent flight there was a man on the no-fly list. Authorities took the man into custody, Kirk said. He praised American Airlines for how it handled the situation.

But American Airlines said that the threat happened prior to Kirk or anyone else boarding the plane, according to Crain’s Chicago Business.

As for the second flight, Chicago Business reported that a spokesman for the U.S. Transportation Safety Agency couldn’t recall the incident but also said that someone on the no-fly list could not get a boarding pass to get on a plane.

Kirk, however, sent two letters to the TSA and Department of Security standing by his no-fly list story.

“An individual, allegedly on the Transportation and Security Administration’s (TSA) No Fly List, was on my recent flight from Washington, D.C.,” Kirk wrote in the TSA letter reported by Chicago Business. “I request that you investigate the situation and take the necessary actions to ensure the safety of all American travelers.”

Kirk is up for re-election in the 2016 cycle. Rep. Tammy Duckworth (D-IL) has already announced her candidacy for Kirk’s seat.

4
Show Comments

Notable Replies

  1. OOOOHHH! OOOOHHH! Looka me! Dangerous wurrld for us, better re-elect me to keep you safe! Orange alert!

  2. Clearly, no one can expect that cowardly pacifist Tammy Duckworth will keep us safe from the t’rr’sts.

    I wish I was snarking, but as surely as the sun rises, there will be a metric shit ton of oligarch money in commercials saying just that in Illinois.

Continue the discussion at forums.talkingpointsmemo.com

Participants

Avatar for system1 Avatar for ncsteve Avatar for ralph_vonholst Avatar for ignoreland

Continue Discussion