Judge: Case Of 6 Cops Charged In Freddie Gray’s Death Will Stay In Baltimore

These undated photos provided by the Baltimore Police Department, show Baltimore police officers, top row from left, Caesar R. Goodson Jr., Garrett E. Miller and Edward M. Nero, and bottom row from left, William G. P... These undated photos provided by the Baltimore Police Department, show Baltimore police officers, top row from left, Caesar R. Goodson Jr., Garrett E. Miller and Edward M. Nero, and bottom row from left, William G. Porter, Brian W. Rice and Alicia D. White, charged with felonies ranging from assault to murder in the police-custody death of Freddie Gray. A grand jury indicted the six officers, State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby said Thursday, May 21, 2015. (Baltimore Police Department via AP, File) MORE LESS

A Baltimore judge said Thursday that the case against six police officers charged in the death of Freddie Gray will remain in the city for the time being, according to reports on the ground.

Circuit Court Judge Barry Williams ruled the criminal trials of six Baltimore officers will stay in the city, despite attorneys’ objections that finding an objective jury would be impossible given the high profile nature of the case in the city.

Gray’s April 19 death of severe spinal injuries after he was transported in a police van sparked nationwide protests against police brutality.

Williams had already decided all six officers would be tried separately.

The decision comes two days after the city formally reached a $6.4 million wrongful death settlement with Gray’s family.

2
Show Comments

Notable Replies

  1. For now, at least. Wait until they come to attempt to select a jury of 12 plus 3-6 alternates, from Baltimore, to whom all this will come as a total surprise.

Continue the discussion at forums.talkingpointsmemo.com

Participants

Avatar for system1 Avatar for avattoir

Continue Discussion