4 New Polls Show Incumbent Dem Senator Leading GOPer In Arkansas

Four straight polls of the Arkansas Senate race have found Sen. Mark Pryor (D-AR) leading challenger Rep. Tom Cotton (R-AR).

Although some of the polls are from Democratic-leaning groups and each of the polls find him with a razor-thin lead, the fact that a rough handful of surveys found Pryor in the lead is notable given that Pryor is considered one of the most endangered Democrats in the 2014 election cycle.

A pro-minimum wage hike organization released a new poll conducted by Opinion Research Associates showing Pryor with 48 percent support to Cotton with 38 percent of the vote. The pollster surveyed 400 likely voters and had a margin of error of plus or minus 5 percentage points. It was conducted from April 1 to April 8.

A Hickman Analytics poll on behalf of the Consumer Energy Alliance found Pryor leading Cotton 40 percent to 37 percent among 400 likely voters. That poll was conducted February 17 to February 20. It had a margin of error of plus or minus 4.9 percentage points.

A Talk Business-Hendrix College poll found Pryor leading Cotton 45.5 percent to Cotton with 42.5 percent with 8 percent undecided. In October the poll found Pryor with a one point lead, 42 percent to 41 percent with 17 percent undecided. The most recent Hendrix poll was conducted among 1,068 likely Arkansas voters between April 3 and April 4. It had a margin of error of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Another poll by the Anzalone Liszt Grove pollster on behalf of the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee found a tight race with Pryor leading (albeit within the margin of error). That poll found Pryor leading Cotton 48 percent to 45 percent with 7 percent undecided. The Grove poll surveyed 600 voters and had a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points. The poll was conducted from March 27 to April 2.

Still, Cotton is a highly competitive candidate. Polling guru Nate Silver, in a recent forecast, gave Pryor just a 30 percent chance of retaining his seat and a 70 percent chance that it would fall into Republican control.

Dear Reader,

When we asked recently what makes TPM different from other outlets, readers cited factors like honesty, curiosity, transparency, and our vibrant community. They also pointed to our ability to report on important stories and trends long before they are picked up by mainstream outlets; our ability to contextualize information within the arc of history; and our focus on the real-world consequences of the news.

Our unique approach to reporting and presenting the news, however, wouldn’t be possible without our readers’ support. That’s not just marketing speak, it’s true: our work would literally not be possible without readers deciding to become members. Not only does member support account for more than 80% of TPM’s revenue, our members have helped us build an engaged and informed community. Many of our best stories were born from reader tips and valuable member feedback.

We do what other news outlets can’t or won’t do because our members’ support gives us real independence.

If you enjoy reading TPM and value what we do, become a member today.

Latest Livewire
Comments
Masthead Masthead
Founder & Editor-in-Chief:
Executive Editor:
Managing Editor:
Associate Editor:
Investigations Desk:
Reporters:
Newswriters:
Director of Audience:
Editor at Large:
General Counsel:
Publisher:
Head of Product:
Director of Technology:
Associate Publisher:
Front End Developer:
Senior Designer: