New York Mayor On Chelsea Blast: ‘We Are Not Going To Jump To Conclusions’

El alcalde de Nueva York, Bill de Blasio, en el centro, junto al jefe de policía local, James O'Neill, a la izquierda, durante una rueda de prensa cerca del lugar donde se produjo una explosión en la calle 23 Oeste... El alcalde de Nueva York, Bill de Blasio, en el centro, junto al jefe de policía local, James O'Neill, a la izquierda, durante una rueda de prensa cerca del lugar donde se produjo una explosión en la calle 23 Oeste del barrio de Chelsea, en Nueva York, el sábado 17 de septiembre de 2016. (AP Foto/Andres Kudacki) MORE LESS

New York officials briefed the public Sunday on the Chelsea blast that injured 29 individuals Saturday night, but Mayor Bill DeBlasio reiterated that New York officials and the FBI were still working to “get the facts.”

“We are not going to jump to conclusions. We are not going to offer you easy answers,” de Blasio said Sunday afternoon during the press conference. “We have a lot more work to do to say what kind of motivation was behind this. Was it a political motivation? A personal motivation? What was it? We do not know that yet. That work must go on.”

While the mayor reiterated the bombing was “not an accident,” but an “intentional act,” he would not confirm if the incident was related to terrorism Sunday, reiterating only that the information was still being gathered.

Of the 29 individuals who were hurt in the explosion, officials said Sunday that all of them had been released by the hospital.

As New York City prepares to host the U.N. General Assembly, de Blasio encouraged New Yorkers to remain “vigilant” and NYPD Commissioner James O’Neill told the public that police presence in the city would be increased.

Officials were still unsure if the explosion at the New Jersey shore Saturday afternoon was in any way related, but that investigators were closely looking for any links between the two incidences.

Officials added that no individual had called an taken responsibility for the Chelsea blast at the time of the presser.

94
Show Comments

Notable Replies

  1. Reminiscent of Gleiwitz incident in Poland on 31 August 1939. The first thing I thought of when I heard of the bomb location, the only thing missing is a stack of dead arabic looking bodies.

  2. Something which I don’t understand - last night I read that officials described the explosion as “intentional” but would not call it a bomb.

    I can understand an unintentional explosion e.g. work crews cut a gas line but what would be an intentional explosion which isn’t a bomb (it was outside so that leaves out cutting open gas line and letting a building fill up with gas until it ignites).

  3. Another perfect caper compliments of Trump’s mafia friends.
    They’ll never find the culprit.

  4. “We’re not going to jump to conclusions.”

    You don’t need to, Mr. Mayor. Donald Trump has that covered.

    Terrorism! Build the wall! DeBlasio doesn’t support that. Sad! Crooked Hillary’s supporters were probably responsible! Trump will fix terrorism in a day!

  5. Avatar for tena tena says:

    I’m distracted by cleaning the house since that’s what we do on Sunday, so I have read the different stories about this but I keep coming back to Josh’s editorial post where he said Trump said something about an explosion in Manhattan before it happened?

    Did I read that right?

Continue the discussion at forums.talkingpointsmemo.com

88 more replies

Participants

Avatar for littlegirlblue Avatar for charliee Avatar for pokeyoakey Avatar for deckbose Avatar for epicurus Avatar for chammy Avatar for teenlaqueefa Avatar for becca656 Avatar for irasdad Avatar for justamarine Avatar for magical_panda Avatar for geofu54 Avatar for captaincommonsense Avatar for darrtown Avatar for emilianoelmexicano Avatar for esperia Avatar for vladomatic Avatar for boisdevache Avatar for tiowally Avatar for mikeanger Avatar for grack Avatar for socalista Avatar for maheto Avatar for negative

Continue Discussion