Despite a few candidates’ decisions to drop out of the GOP effort to change the format of upcoming presidential debates, some campaigns will still commit to the list of demands for networks drafted earlier this week.
The campaigns for Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee, and Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-SC) confirmed to The Hill that their candidates will sign the letter.
“Our issue is not the letter,” Jindal spokeswoman Gail Gitcho told The Hill. “Our issue continues to be that the Party and the networks continue to try and winnow out candidates before the voters have a chance to weigh in. No matter who you are for, or what side you are on, that’s just wrong.”
After Donald Trump, as well as Ohio Gov. John Kasich, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie and Carly Fiorina said they would not sign their names to the letter, the effort to change the debate formats appeared to be in limbo. But Ben Carson, who spearheaded the effort, along with a handful of candidates lower in the polls are hanging on to their chance to change the debates.
Representatives from numerous campaigns met on Sunday to air grievances about previous debates and propose changes to upcoming forums. The candidates came up with a long list of demands for networks hosting the debates, asking moderators not to allow candidate-to-candidate or “gotcha” questions.