Donald Trump’s campaign manager told reporters on Monday that she is “very confident” that the President-elect is not breaking laws with his business practices during the transition process.
“There are some reports that Mr. Trump continues to transact business while he conducts his transition,” a reporter in the lobby of Trump Tower in New York asked Conway. “Is that appropriate?”
“I’m very confident he’s not breaking any laws,” Conway said. “He has many lawyers, accountants and advisors who tell him what he must do and what he can’t do. He’s a businessman; he is also working to transition. He’s the President-elect and, you know, we’re in unprecedented times.”
“How long is he going to continue to do both, be president-elect and run his own businesses?” the reporter asked.
“Are you suggesting that he’s doing something illegal?” Conway said.
“I’m asking you,” the reporter said.
“And I already said he’s not, but the presumption is that he is, so if you operate from a presumption of negativity and illegality it’s going to be a tougher way to answer the question,” she said.
Conway’s denial came amid allegations that Trump asked Argentine President Mauricio Macri to handle permitting issues holding up a building project the President-elect is involved with in Buenos Aires, as reported by Jorge Lanata in La Nacion.
Both Macri’s office and the Trump transition team denied any discussion of personal business interests during a congratulatory phone call Macri made to Trump after the latter’s unexpected election victory.
The President-elect met last week with three Indian business partners who are involved with a building project south of Mumbai bearing Trump’s name, the New York Times reported on Saturday.
Trump spokesman Jason Miller said during a call with reporters earlier Monday that legal counsel are “comfortable” with all the meetings the President-elect has held so far, including those with his business partners.