2020 Elections

Draw Distinctions in Response to Police Shootings

If I were younger and living in Kenosha, Wisconsin, I would have been in the streets protesting the police shooting a Black man in the back as he got into a car with his three children already seated there. There may have been extraordinary extenuating circumstances, but based on the video, it would seem that this was as egregious an act as the killing of George Floyd and that the officers involved should be prosecuted and that the city’s police department dramatically reformed. Read More 

What the Convention Revealed of the Democratic Party

Conventions present the face of the party to voters. The Democrats of 2020 are the party of democracy, character and competence (contra Trump) and social inclusivity, with an emphasis on women and minority groups. Programmatically, they promise a continuation of the Obama years, for instance, incrementally shoring up the Affordable Care Act. (The words “public option” were notably missing from Biden’s speech.)

Read More 

Pelosi’s Kennedy Endorsement And Why People Are So Mad About It
The Emerging Democratic Majority Revisited

On the eve of the Democratic convention, a Danish newspaper asked me whether I thought the “emerging Democratic majority,” which Ruy Teixeira and I wrote about, was still intact. Here is a revised version of what I wrote them.

In 2001, Ruy and I did predict that by the decade’s end, there would be a Democratic majority, although not on the scale of the New Deal majority. We felt vindicated by the 2006 and 2008 Democratic results, which more or less followed our script of a majority based on professionals, women, minorities, and about 40 percent of the white working class. The one thing we didn’t anticipate was the support of young people as a distinct group for the Democrats, which has carried over. Read More 

Obama: GOP ‘So Scared’ Of People Voting That They’re ‘Undermining’ American Life
Rep. Zoe Lofgren, D-Calif., speaks during a House Judiciary Committee markup of the articles of impeachment against President Donald Trump, on Capitol Hill Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2019, in Washington. (AP Photo/Jose Luis Magana, Pool) House Dems Launch Probe Into Voting Preparedness In Four Battleground States
Trump-Appointed Judge Demands Campaign Produce Evidence Of Voter Fraud
QAnon Supporter Marjorie Greene Wins Runoff, Headed To Congress
Biden Tweaks Trump With New Ad Buy In Long-Shot Texas
QAnon Candidate Marjorie Greene Accuses Runoff Competitor Of Defamation
Masthead Masthead
Founder & Editor-in-Chief:
Executive Editor:
Managing Editor:
Associate Editor:
Editor at Large:
General Counsel:
Publisher: