2020 Elections

Violent Protests Could be a Gift to Trump
A protester carries the carries the U.S. flag upside, a sign of distress, Thursday, May 28, 2020, in Minneapolis. Violent protests over the death of George Floyd, the black man who died in police custody broke out in Minneapolis for a third straight night. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez)

The murder of George Floyd in Minneapolis was racial injustice at its worst. But the violent protests that it has sparked may have no good effect for those who have suffered from racial discrimination and, more broadly, for Americans who fear another four years of Donald Trump. A political scientist, Omar Wasow, cautiously makes the case in a New Yorker interview that these violent protests help law and order Republicans. I was actually around in the ‘60s and ‘70s, and have studied the political history of the times, and can attest to that fact. Read More

Milwaukee, WI - APRIL 7th: A woman hands out surgical masks to people standing in line to vote in Wisconsin’s spring primary election on Tuesday April 7th, 2020 at Riverside High School in Milwaukee, WI. (Photo by Sara Stathas for the Washington Post)
Milwaukee, WI - APRIL 7th: A line to vote in Wisconsin’s spring primary election wraps around for blocks and blocks on Tuesday April 7th, 2020 at Riverside High School in Milwaukee, WI. (Photo by Sara Stathas for the Washington Post)
ALBANY, NEW YORK - APRIL 7, 2020:New York Governor, Andrew Cuomo (D) speaking at a press Conference at the State Capitol.
Governor of Delaware John C Carney Jr. speaks at the Delaware Memorial Day Ceremony, in New Castle, DE on May 30, 2019. (Photo by Bastiaan Slabbers/NurPhoto)
on April 19, 2017 in East Chicago, Indiana.
Gov. Ned Lamont speaks at a press conference at the UConn School of Business Graduate Learning Center in Hartford, Connecticut on Tuesday, Jan. 13, 2020. (Brad Horrigan/Hartford Courant/TNS)
Final Thoughts on the Democratic Primaries

Barring a personal tragedy, Joe Biden will be the nominee. My preference, given the difficulty of holding primaries during the pandemic and the need to focus on defeating Donald Trump in November, is for Sanders to concede – and I voted for him in 2016 and would have done so again. If Sanders continues to campaign, it should only be around his issues. No attacks on Biden for stands he took 10, 20, or even 30 years ago. I can think of no worse (possible) fate for the country than Trump’s re-election. Here are some final thoughts about the primaries and what comes next:

Read More

on March 20, 2018 in Great Mills, Maryland.
on November 6, 2018 in Phoenix, United States.
1 2 3 14
Masthead Masthead
Founder & Editor-in-Chief:
Executive Editor:
Managing Editor:
Senior Editor:
Special Projects Editor:
Editor at Large:
General Counsel:
Publisher:
Head of Product:
Director of Technology: