The “Megyn Kelly Today” show has officially been canceled and the 9 a.m. time slot will be filled by “TODAY” co-anchors next week, an NBC News spokesperson said Friday.
JUST IN: NBC News spokesperson: “Megyn Kelly Today is not returning. Next week, the 9 a.m. hour will be hosted by other TODAY co-anchors.”
— NBC News (@NBCNews) October 26, 2018
The announcement follows reports that Kelly was on the way out. Her new lawyer, Hollywood litigator Bryan Freedman, met with NBC officials on Friday and reportedly requested journalist Ronan Farrow — who has his own beef with the network — be present for the discussion. The talk was expected to center on Kelly’s future with NBC following her latest controversy, when she defended the use of blackface on-air and later apologized, claiming she had just learned the racist roots of the practice this week.
According to reports from Variety and CNN earlier this week, talks about canceling Kelly’s show have been in the works for some time. Sources told both outlets that Kelly was interested in taking on a role in the network’s cable news department, but it’s unclear if that will come to fruition. Hollywood Reporter reported Friday that Freedman is continuing to work with NBC officials to negotiate her departure from the network, where she has three-year $69 million contract.