Georgia GOP Clamps Down On Voting
- There they go again: Georgia’s GOP-controlled legislature passed a sweeping bill Thursday that will restrict voters’ access to the ballot.
- The closely watched legislation in the highly competitive state heightens ID requirements for absentee voting, limits drop box use and prohibits the distribution of food and most beverages to voters while they’re waiting in line, TPM’s Tierney Sneed reported.
- Georgia is just one of several states where Republicans are pushing restrictive voting legislation in the wake of President Trump’s defeat.
- The new law already faces a legal challenge. The New Georgia Project, Black Voters Matter Fund and Rise, Inc., which focuses on student enfranchisement, filed a lawsuit challenging elements of the law. The suit argues that the law violates the Voting Rights Act. Marc Elias, a prominent election law lawyer who frequently represents Democrats, is representing the groups in the case.
- On Friday, President Biden issued a blistering statement calling the Georgia law “Jim Crow in the 21st Century.”
Cuomo’s Countless Scandals
- New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) is facing yet another controversy, this time centered around revelations that the governor arranged for private coronavirus testing for his family last spring when tests were difficult to come by in the state.
- Prominent New York journalists and officials railed against the governor after the news broke, calling it an “abuse of power.”
- We took a look at the people in Cuomo’s inner circle who received special testing access. They include the governor’s brother, CNN anchor Chris Cuomo; the governor’s mother, Matilda Cuomo; at least one of Cuomo’s sisters; and other top New York figures.
- Zoë Richards also dug into the Cuomo brothers’ broadcast banter, which now appears especially grating in the context of the VIP access to COVID-19 testing.
- Going forward, the impeachment investigation into Cuomo over accusations of sexual misconduct and alleged altering of nursing home coronavirus death figures will also look at the COVID testing revelations.
‘Big Lie’ Hypers’ Legal Woes Escalate
- On Friday, Dominion filed a $1.6 billion lawsuit against Fox News, alleging that the network’s boosting of bogus voter fraud conspiracies did reputation damage to the voting tech company.
- Dominion’s latest lawsuit targeted Fox News specifically, but the complaint referenced a number of its top personalities and other Trumpworld figures.
- Fulton County, Georgia prosecutors are eyeing “false statement” charges against Trump lawyer Rudy Giuliani and other unnamed Trumpworld associates for their efforts to undermine the 2020 election, according to a Daily Beast report Wednesday.
- Former President Trump and his son, Don Jr., hired a lawyer who supported the elder Trump’s attempts to overturn the 2020 election to represent them in a lawsuit filed by Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-CA).