Man Charged With Attempted Murder In George Zimmerman Shooting

ASSOCIATED PRESS

ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — A man accused of shooting at George Zimmerman now faces an attempted murder charge.

A prosecutor on Thursday upgraded the charges against Matthew Apperson to attempted second-degree murder. Apperson earlier had been charged with aggravated assault and battery for firing a gun into Zimmerman’s car during a traffic run-in last month. Zimmerman had minor injuries.

State Attorney Phil Archer said in a statement that people ought to be able to travel the streets without fear.

Prosecutors contend Apperson had a fixation on Zimmerman.

A jury acquitted Zimmerman in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin two years ago. The case sparked protests and a national debate about race relations.

Apperson’s attorney, Michael LaFay, said he couldn’t comment since he hadn’t yet received a copy of the new charge.

Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Comments
Masthead Masthead
Editor & Publisher:
Managing Editor:
Senior News Editor:
Assistant Editor:
Editor at Large:
Investigations Desk:
Senior Political Correspondent:
Senior Editor:
Reporter:
Newswriters:
Front Page Editor:
Editor for Prime & Special Projects:
General Manager & General Counsel:
Executive Publisher:
Head of Product:
Director of Technology:
Publishing Associate:
Front-End Developer:
Senior Designer: