After Vice President Mike Pence’s chief of staff, Nick Ayers, unexpectedly turned down the job, the Trump administration has been scrambling to find a suitable replacement for White House chief of staff John Kelly.
- Rep. Mark Meadows (R-NC)
- Acting attorney general Matt Whitaker
- Former deputy Trump campaign manager David Bossie
- White House counselor Kellyanne Conway
- Former New Jersey Governor Chris Christie
- Energy Secretary Rick Perry
- Former Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum
- Blackstone executive Wayne Berman
Some others who were considered, including Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, have expressed no interest in taking the punishing job.