A lot of things happened. Here are some of the things.
Moonlighting Snake Oil Salesman
Republican Georgia Senate candidate Herschel Walker peddled a “dry mist” and “spray” that he claimed would “kill any COVID on your body” during a Glenn Beck interview last year, per the Daily Beast.
- Whatever this is, it doesn’t exist, and it’s definitely not “EPA-, FDA-approved,” as he claimed.
- You just haven’t heard of it because conspiracy or something. “They don’t want to talk about that. They don’t want to hear about that,” the candidate insisted.
- Walker has refused to say if he’s gotten the COVID-19 vaccine.
A Reckoning On Voting Rights In Senate — Potentially As Soon As Today?
Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) announced on Tuesday that voting rights legislation will be brought to a vote on the Senate floor “as soon as today,” a day after Biden’s remarks on changing the filibuster for the legislation.
- But it’s unclear what the exact plan is, given that — at least as far as we know! — he still doesn’t have the votes needed from Sens. Joe Manchin (D-WV) and Kyrsten Sinema (D-AZ) to make any changes to the filibuster.
Congressional Staff Asked DOJ For Security Plans Ahead Of Jan. 6
Before the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection, staffers from at least two House and Senate committees went to the FBI and the Justice Department previewing threats and pleading for heightened safety that day, according to emails obtained by Buzzfeed News.
Texas Sheriff Allegedly Shook Down Migrants
Check out the crime in the migrant community: A rural Texas sheriff is under criminal investigation for allegedly ordering his deputies to take money from undocumented immigrants during traffic stops on the regular, even if they hadn’t committed any state crimes, per the Texas Tribune. He would then allegedly have them handed over to U.S. Border Patrol.
- The sheriff has admitted to this scheme, according to investigators.
- He declared via Facebook that he was against “illegal alien traffic in our community” in December (after his offices were raided).
Biden Admin Greenlights More Gitmo Releases
Five more detainees at Guantánamo Bay were approved for release, the Pentagon disclosed yesterday on the 20th anniversary of the notorious prison’s opening.
In Case You Missed Biden’s Push For Filibuster Reform
We did a liveblog on Biden’s speech and reactions to his remarks in Atlanta, Georgia on voting rights and the filibuster. Check it out.
Basically Everyone’s Going To Get COVID, Fauci And FDA Head Warn
Strap in, folks: Infectious diseases expert Dr. Anthony Fauci said yesterday that “just about everybody” is going to catch the coronavirus thanks to the Omicron variant.
- Acting commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration Janet Woodcock echoed Fauci’s warning, saying that “most people are going to get COVID.”
- But infected people who’ve been vaccinated will “very likely, with some exceptions, do reasonably well,” Fauci said.
Fauci Calls GOPer A Moron LOL
Fauci has just about had it with Republican senators who use his committee hearings to showboat, peddle COVID-19 conspiracy theories or otherwise try to out-grift each other by repeatedly attacking him and using the gambit as a fundraising tactic:
Trump Abandons NPR Interview In A Huff
NPR host Steve Inskeep announced an interview with Trump yesterday that Inskeep said he’s been seeking for six years, and teased that “we’ll hear what he said, up to the moment that he hung up on me.”
- NPR released that interview this morning, and it’s not really mind-blowing stuff. Trump lies about the 2020 election, Inskeep tries to stop him from lying, Trump steamrolls him as he keeps lying until the ex-president abruptly deserts the whole thing.
- “He’s gone. OK,” Inskeep remarks after Trump hangs up.
Labor Board Schedules Amazon Warehouse Union Election Do-Over
The National Labor Relations Board has set a timetable for a second union vote at the Amazon facility in Bessemer, Alabama after the board found that Amazon had meddled in the first election last year.
- Ballots will be mailed out on Feb. 14, the board announced.
- The vote count will begin on March 28.
Graphic Design Is My Passion
GOP Ohio Senate candidate and MAGA convert J.D. Vance would like to invite you to his statewide Nobs Tour next week:
Do you like Morning Memo? Let us know!